Cooler weather means beautiful rides on your motorcycle through the mountains and on back roads. However, there is one thing you should look out for while riding during this time of the year: deer. This season is mating and migration season of deer and while you may see them during other times of the year, you are more likely to see them now more than ever. Stay safe while riding your motorcycle this season with these helpful tips.
- Pay attention during the early evening and early morning. They tend to move more at dusk and dawn so keep your eyes open! You are more likely to see them during this time of the day.
- If you see more, look for others. They tend to travel in herds so if you see one, you will likely see more shortly afterwards. Do not just assume that it was the only deer around.
- Wear your helmet. This is a safety precaution you should always enforce but especially during deer season. If you do hit one, you want to be as safe as possible.
- When riding in a group, spread out. The reason for this is that by riding a bit spread out, in the case of a collision, you are less likely to take your friends down with you.
- Don’t swerve to avoid the collision if it is inevitable. You want your motorcycle to be stabilized if it hits an animal. Instead, brake hard until the collision to lessen the force.
Make sure you have the right insurance. This cannot be stressed enough! In California, you are required to have insurance to drive your motorcycle. If you do not have insurance that would cover you in the case of an accident, contact Neff & Associates Insurance Services, Inc. serving Pismo Beach, CA, for policy information.