The arrival of Spring offers the perfect opportunity for some home maintenance and spring cleaning. It is always wise to use preventive measures to help maintain your property and home the whole year. Neff & Associates Insurance Services Inc., serving Pismo Beach, CA offers a few suggestions to help make this spring a safe one.
Outside your home:
- Repair uneven, broken or cracked walkways and driveways to avoid falls
- Trim all bushes and trees so they’re safely away from utility wires
- Cut down any dead trees on your property
- Clean out all downspouts and gutters to avoid debris accumulation
- Store all gas and oil for tools and lawn equipment in a locked, vented area
Inside your home:
- Use fluorescent bulbs instead of high-intensity bulbs.
- Make sure that all the light bulbs in your fixtures are the right wattage suggested by the manufacturer
- Inspect all smoke detectors, and make sure that you have a detector on every floor. Change batteries annually, and test them every month
- Remove all lint, dust, and fabric material from under your dryer and in the dryer exhaust duct
- Replace or clean your furnace filter
- Make sure you check the water heater for corrosion and leaks
- Make sure a professional inspects the air conditioning system like the manufacturer recommends
- Fill and have accessible a fire extinguisher, and check it to make sure it is ready for operation and filled
- Make sure your extension cords, fuse boxes, and outlets aren’t overloaded. Check for potential fire hazards such as loose fitting plugs or frayed wires.
Finally, Don’t get caught without the level of homeowners insurance coverage you need. Contact us at Neff & Associates Insurance Services Inc. today to learn about more ways to protect your home and your family.